I need a decent base layer to be able to wick away sweat, blood and tears when I am out there doing my various challenges and events for charity, in my Duck suit. The weather and terrain is changeable so it had to be a multi tasking material that could accomodate me in all tempertures and be robust for all events. From a long distance hike on tarmac to a 10 mile run in treacle like 5 foot deep mud! In May 2012 I shall be doing 5 marathons in 5 days. Sweat attracts grit and dirt which will cause chafing, smells and other negative isssues. I need a base layer that will keep me dry and injury free.
The answer lay in a decent set of merino base layers. The eprfect merino is the New Zealand merino used by Chocolate Fish. They are like wearing liquid chocolate..velvety smooth and soft. Almost perfect as Duck Down!
I wear the Taranaki 190 Women's Merino T-Shirt and the Taranaki 190 Merino Women’s Freedom Leggings under my Ducksuit. They keep me cool or warm, wicking away moisture, and keeping me smelling of roses all day! Perfect after an endurance event!
I have also worn both of these items generally for a whole week as base layers when I have been away endurance hiking where weight is of a premium. Washing myself with antibacterial wipes and only changing underwear, the leggings and t0shirt didn't smell horrendous after a week of constant wear.
I have also used the 70 Mile Bush Taihape Trailsock . These feet very well and do not ride around the foot. The wicking and snug feet help to stop blisters, but I do still wear a cotton liner sock for 100% dry and blister free foot.
- NZ Merino wool gives the highest quality wool fibre
- Only superfine merino wool fibres between 18 and 21 microns will provide the essential balance of comfort with durability.
- All our gear is made using superfine 18.8 micron, and fine 21 micron fibre.
- Only superfine double-jersey fabric gives the stability, elasticity and regain necessary for high performance
- MAPP - Merino Advanced Performance Programme - superfine double jersey fabric has been specially engineered for outdoor activity use
Chocolate Fish New Zealand Merino - genuinely made in New Zealand. Natural, eco-friendly, and sustainable Merino Base Layers, Mid Layers and Accessories from a supply chain that's ethically, socially, & environmentally responsible.
Naturally - New Zealand!
(bear with me as I upload a photo shortly of me in my merinos)